Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Grand Theft Auto IV - I can see why MADD is mad.

So I finally got myself an Xbox 360, and Grand Theft Auto IV. My first impression was that this is probably the most work any company has ever put into a single video game.

It's hard to find flaws with this game, everything is pretty fun. And the online mode is hilarious. Nothing is funnier than hearing someone across the country scream over their headset as their car flys over the edge and loses the race.

Building friendships in the game is another cool thing to do. I like to do the short ones, like eating or drinking. You just pick up your friend, drive to the diner/bar, and drop your friend off. Easy right?

Not if you go drinking. After drinking the game makes you stumble around (fun) and fall a lot (fun most of the time, not fun when you fall in the street and your head gets run over by a impatient driver). But here's the thing, you get into your car and Niko says "I really shouldn't be driving" or something of that nature, and then you drive off. The car jeers left and right, the screen blurs, and the controller vibrates like an annoying heartbeat. The cops also if they see you driving drunk will come after you. But outrunning them is usually easy as driving fast, turning a corner, and driving fast some more.

I am sad to say that drunk driving in this game is fun. But, that doesn't make me ever want to drive drunk in real life. In the game, you crash into things constantly while driving drunk. It's impossible to go down a street and not hit anything or someone. That being said, it's a game! It's an escape from reality, where the only thing stopping you from doing something illegal is a simple reset at the hospital or police station. I enjoy driving drunk in the game because it is a challenge to get home without the cops on you, also can lead to some pretty entertaining moments.

For instance, one time I was driving Brucie back drunk and I was being chased by the cops. I was going pretty fast and the car swerved, without my control, and I hit a center concrete barrier. We both flew from the car, I hit the other concrete barrier, and fell off of the overpass to my death. I haven't laughed that hard in a long, long time.

But then, later on I was thinking to myself, "Well there is another reason to not drive drunk.". And, from now on after drinking in the game, my virtual Niko Bellic takes the cab home.

No comments: